About Our Church
Clark Memorial UMC History
In 1865, the Missionary Society of the Methodist Episcopal Church purchased Andrew’s Chapel, located on Franklin Street in South Nashville. The church had purchased this property in 1847. The 1865 purchase was made under the direction of Bishop Clarke, and the name of the structure was changed to Clarke Chapel. The intent was to use the building as a house of worship and a school for Negro youth. By 1867, the school had grown so large and its curriculum so strong that it became known as Central Tennessee College. The name was later changed to Walden University. Meharry Medical College became a department at Walden in 1876, before becoming an independent institution in 1915.
WHAT WE BELIEVE
We believe in the word of God, as revealed in the scriptures which is the foundation for our faith, preaching and teaching.
We believe that all people, as God's children, are worthy of love, care, compassion, and hospitality as manifested in the work of our ministries.
We believe in education and learning which equips and empowers us to be better disciples of Jesus Christ.
We believe that the church as the body of Christ requires the sharing of time, spiritual gifts, and resources of trained and committed laity to engage in ministry and mission.
We believe in praise and worship celebrations which provide opportunities for showing our love and devotion to God and sharing those experiences with others.
WHO WE ARE
The United Methodist Church was formed when the Evangelical United Brethren Church and the Methodist Church merged in 1968. Both traditions have roots in the 1700s.
Today, The United Methodist Church is global, with more than 12 million members around the world. While our languages, cultures and nations of origin may differ, a common mission and history unite us in powerful ways.